This diagram pictures the elements of lead or multi-pitch climbing while placing "Trad" gear for protection.
Below: Proper placement of trad gear (cams) in a parallel crack. Believe it or not, cams are just as safe as bolts if placed correctly!
Advanced Rock Climbing
During this expedition you will learn...
- Climbing safety and precautions
- Lead climbing site management
- Placing protection - Active & Passive gear: Cams, Tri-Cams, Nuts, Hexes, Slings...
- Advanced anchor construction
- Advanced climbing movement (for example: climbing overhangs, traversing, etc...)
- Lead belaying and cleaning a route
- Multi-pitch climbing
- Rappelling (abseiling)
- Rock rescue
- Rope ascension
- Back-country climbing
- Deep-Water soloing
- Leave-No-Trace wilderness ethics
- Customized Naturalist lessons
This YouTube video discusses "Traditional" rock climbing.